$97.50 - $247.35
Whiteout is an engaging conflict resolution team building activity for any team, especially those in the midst of conflict. Following the introduction of the survival scenario, participants are challenged to rank 15 salvaged items - first as individuals and then a second time as a team. Participants compare their team scores to the best individual score and expert rationale to determine if synergy was achieved.
The Whiteout Scenario
Selected to pilot a new team-building initiative, a work group sets off on a dog-sledding adventure through the wilds of Alaska. While this would normally be an opportunity of a lifetime, the team has been struggling with interpersonal conflicts and frequent disagreements. The trip starts out bright and beautiful, but unexpectedly, the team encounters a horrendous blizzard. And then disaster strikes. One of the sleds - including the driver, guide, and dogs - crashes through the ice into shoulder-deep water. While the dogs escape unharmed, the driver and guide are left hypothermic and semiconscious. Now it's up to the team to put aside their differences and work together to save the injured and rescue themselves.
How It Works
Whiteout is an excellent training tool for any team, especially those in the midst of conflict. Following the introduction of the survival scenario, participants are challenged to rank 15 salvaged items - first as individuals and then a second time as a team. Participants compare their team scores to the best individual score and expert rationale to determine if synergy was achieved. The two-hour workshop explores the concept of synergy and helps teams to develop vital group-process skills such as decision making and problem solving. The exercise also includes an introduction to three elements of synergy, a five-step problem-solving technique, four critical group maintenance skills, and the importance of consensus decision making.
Uses and Applications
Whiteout can be used as a standalone training instrument or incorporated into a more comprehensive program on team building. It's also effective as a component for conflict resolution and decision making training programs. Use the survival simulation to:
- Illustrate the concept of team synergy.
- "Break the ice" among new or conflicted teams.
- Give teams a nonthreatening opportunity to work together.
- Help teams practice consensus decision making.
- Improve active listening, probing, and confronting behaviors in a realistic setting.
- Train team leaders in team facilitation skills.
- Open or close a learning session.
- Introduce an organizational change.
- Interject a fun activity into an otherwise serious agenda.
- Supplement outdoor experiential learning.
- Learn five team skills for managing conflict
- Hone group problem-solving skills using a five-step process
- Understand four techniques to improve communication
- Discover the advantages of consensus decision making
- Experience the three elements of synergy
- Target Audience: Team members at any level, especially those who work under pressure
- Product Type: Simulation
- Focus: Consensus decision making and decision making under pressure
- Time RequiredAdministration: 15 minutes, Workshop: 1 hour and 30 minutes