Campbell Leadership Descriptor
$25.75 - $155.55
The Campbell Leadership Descriptor (CLD) is a self-assessment designed to help individuals identify the essential characteristics of successful leadership. By doing so, participants will evaluate their leadership strengths and create an action plan for improving their leadership skills.
How It Works
The Campbell Leadership Descriptor (CLD) is a self-scoring questionnaire containing 40 adjectives. Each are focused on a specific leadership characteristic and are grouped into nine significant components.
After you complete and score the Descriptor, you will use the forty attributes to compare yourself to both a “good” leader and a “poor” leader you have known. The resulting profile will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses, so you can define actions you can take to be a more successful leader.
Uses and Applications
The CLD helps participants understand, identify, and apply the Six Major Task Components of Organizational Leadership and Three Personal Components of Organizational Leadership.
The Six Major Task Components of Organizational Leadership
- Vision: Establish the general tone and direction of the organization
- Management: Set specific goals and focus organizational resources for achieving them
- Empowerment: Select and develop direct reports which are committed to the organization’s goals
- Diplomacy: Forge coalitions with important internal and external constituencies: peers, superiors, direct reports, potential organizational allies, and other important outside decision-makers
- Feedback: Observe and listen carefully to clients, customers, voters, employees, students, and team members; and share the resulting information in a manner that those affected see as beneficial
- Entrepreneurialism: Find future opportunities, including increased revenues, expanded markets, or a higher probability of desirable outcomes, such as international peace, a healthier environment, or the creation of beauty, through mechanisms such as new projects, programs, or policies
The Three Personal Components of Organizational Leadership
- Personal Style: By personal example, set an overall organizational tone of competence, optimism, integrity, and inspiration
- Personal Energy: Live a disciplined, wholesome lifestyle that provides the necessary energy and durability to handle the physical demands of leadership, long hours, stressful decisions, and conflict
- Multicultural Awareness: Be experienced and comfortable working with individuals and managing organizations across different geographic, demographic, and cultural borders
Product Type: Self-assessment. The Facilitator's Guide package offers everything you need to prepare and conduct a leadership workshop. This includes instructions for scoring and interpreting the descriptor, a sample of a completed descriptor; a step-by-step facilitator's "script", illustrative case studies, a list of recommended books, and more.
- By the end of this assessment, participants will:
- Understand the major components of leadership
- Identify the characteristics of a successful leader
- Evaluate one's leadership strengths and weaknesses by comparing one's results to "good" and "poor" leaders
- Develop a personal action plan for improving leadership skills
Target Audience: This assessment is appropriate for individuals at any organizational level, especially those in leadership training.
Measures: How participants view leadership strengths and areas requiring improvement by comparing personal leadership attributes to those of a “good leader” and a “poor leader.”
Dimensions: Critical-thinking, leadership development, and leadership effectiveness.
Time Required: Half-day workshop or either a 1 to 1.5 or 2 to 2.5-hour session
Starter Kit: Order One Kit for Up to Five Participants & One Trainer.
Facilitator Guide: Order One Guide Per Trainer.
Paper Assessment with Survey 5-Pack: Order One Pack for Up to Five Participants. or Online Assessment: Order One Per Participant.